ON Monday, May 6, the Whip and Collar Driving Club held their annual indoor driving show at Portmore Equestrian Centre, Aghalee and what a monumental day it proved to be! It was a phenomenal day for not only the exhibitors, but spectators alike, with an abundance of high-class exhibits showcasing their animals in every class. It was apparent with the large numbers in attendance that every class was going to exceed expectations.
One of the judges on the day was Mr Andrew Hamilton-Rhodes from England, who has a vast knowledge of exhibiting, judging and is a Hackney Horse Society and British Driving Society panel judge. Andrew is well known for his top-class turnouts in the carriage driving field and is meticulous in his attention to detail.
The other two judges on the day were Lisa Doherty, who has a vast amount of knowledge within the cob world, knowing exactly what meets the criteria in these enchanting horses.
Joanne Parrett was the donkey judge and is well known and respected in donkey circles. Joanne was very affable on the day, encouraging and supporting the donkey exhibitors offering her expertise to them. So, to the three judges, organisers owe their sincere gratitude on the splendid
job they successfully per-formed.
The Whip and Collar Driving Club would like to thank all the sponsors, exhibitors and helpers for their continual assistance in running a show of this immense calibre.
Organisers believe the highlight of the day was Thomas Clarke and his daughter Abbey from Dublin exhibiting six majestic Friesians to a body brake. This was a spectacular sight and it had to be seen to comprehend the scale of this – it is extremely hard to do.
Thomas was ably assisted by his good friend Angelo Kane, who also is a highly accomplished horseman. So,
a big thank you to the Clarke family for bringing their horses and putting on a magnificent display.
Also, thanks to club mem-bers Mr Philip Titterington, stewards Mr Jonathan Ca-
rnduff and Mr Finbar Magill. Philip carried out the commentating at the show and gave an in-depth insight on the exhibitors and their vehicles.
Jonathan and Finbarr also carried their duties out in an exemplary manner, so many thanks to them all.
For further details of forthcoming shows, follow on Facebook: The Whip and Collar Driving Club
Monday, May 6
Whip and Collar Driving Club Show
Traditional Cob, Mare, Gelding & Young Stock In Hand: 1) Elaine McCrey showing Rockvale Alice; 2) Jessica Huff showing Zera The Diva; 3) Tia Morrison showing Jessie.
Welsh Pony In Hand: 1) Gareth Bailey showing Ilamri TWM Sian Cati; 2) Callum Griffine showing Tyfry; 3) Cathy Brodie showing Meisann Captian Sam.
Welsh Cob In Hand: 1) James Clelland showing Budore Alfie; 2) James Clelland showing Budore Terrific; 3) John Weir Jnr showing Ringside Lucifer.
Traditional Cob In Hand (Stallion Only): 1) Grace Vallely showing Big O’Toole; 2) Barry Reavey showing Steptoe; 3) Cathy Brodie showing Paddy Da Piebald.
Open In Hand: 1) John Weir Jnr showing Ringside Lucifer; 2) Poppy Thompson showing Lewis; 3) Mark Presho showing Polly.
In Hand Championship
Champion: James Clelland showing Budore Alfie; Reserve: Gareth Bailie showing Ilamri TWM Sian Cati.
Novice Horse/ Pony Driving Class: 1) Yvonne Harrington showing Spot; 2) Jim Magennis showing Shalamar Flight.
Hackney Pony shown to a Show Wagon:
1) Damien Sloan driving Heartland Elmo; 2) Edwin Wylie driving Heartland Sundance.
Hackney Horse shown to a Show Wagon:
1) Frank Wadham showing Clifford Parke’s Baldwins Young Guns; 2) Frankie Allen showing Joe McAleese’s Ballystriplighter; 3) Michael Hanlon showing Brookeborough Masterpiece.
Champion: Frank Wadham showing Baldwins Young Guns; Reserve: Damien Sloan showing Heartland Elmo.
1) John Weir Jnr showing Rosehall Alexander; 2) Chantelle Brown showing Joe McAleese’s Catheal Black Magic; 3) Ruari Creighton showing Felix.
1) David Mulreany showing Slick Rick.
Private Drive Under 13.2:
1) George Acres showing Aghaderg Bold As Brass; 2) Jacquiline Magennis showing Shalamar Pixie Gold.
Private Drive Over 13.2:
1) Clifford Parke showing Rosehall Tara Queen; 2) John Gourley showing Yankee & Ludo; 3) John Weir Jnr showing Ringside Lucifer.
1) Val Goode showing Gordon Bell’s Janton Bailey’s Welsh Cream; 2) Lawrence Murdock showing Kate McCann.
Private Drive Championship
Champion: Clifford Park showing Rosehall Tara Queen; Reserve: George Acres showing Aghaderg Bold As Brass.
Concours d’ Elegance:
1) Jenny Lyttle showing Famous Seamus; 2) John Gourley showing Yankee & Ludo.
Junior Whip Class:
1) Mia Smyth showing Rocky; 2) Abbey Clarke showing Ridzert & Duke.
Friesian Driving Class:
Thomas Clarke showing Tom, Duke, Ridzert, Halo, Prince, Duck; John Gourley showing Yankee & Ludo; David Mulreany showing Slick Rick. All of the above were give first rosettes.
1) Frankie Allen showing Joe McAleese’s Ballystriplighter; 2) Abbey Clarke showing Tom, Duke, Ridzert & Duck; 3) Karen Dalzell showing Heartland Elmo.
Exercise Class Under 13.2:
1) Yvonne Harrington showing Spot; 2) Jim Magennis showing Shalamar Flight.
Exercise Class Over 13.2:
1) John Weir Jnr showing Ringside Lucifer; 2) Chantelle Brown showing Joe McAleese’s Catheal Black Magic.
Champion: John Weir Jnr showing Ringside Lucifer; Reserve: Chantelle Brown showing Joe McAleese’s Catheal Black Magic.
Novice Driver (3 years max showing experience):
1) Jacqueline Magennis showing Shalamar Pixie Gold; 2) Yvonne Harrington showing Spot.