ON Saturday, October 17, the Route Hunt ran their Autumn Point to Point races under the IHRB Covid 19 protocols, which included Health Screening on the day of all in attendance, two metre social distancing, hand sanitiser stations, face coverings by all in attendance and only the trainers, grooms and jockeys entered for racing and hunt officials were permitted to attend, as the event had to be run ‘behind closed doors’.
It was a very different event without public attendance, on site catering, on site bar and bookies, however, in spite of these changes, it was a great day with the jockeys having to be on the ball to claim a win. 91 horses were entered for the event, with 47 horses declaring on the day with the event being supported by local trainers like Gerald Quinn from Ballymoney, but also by trainers like Sam Curling from Tipperary.
The Route Hunt Board value the help given by hunt staff, hunt members, friends of the hunt, IHRB and P2P.ie. Without this help, running the event would not be possible. The board also appreciate the financial support given by the sponsors and the grant provided by IHRB.
The Route Hunt Spring point to point races are scheduled for 28/3/2021. If anyone would like to be involved with this event, either as a helper on the day or as a sponsor, please contact the Point to Point secretary, Hazel Kelly on 0775 956 3183.
Race 1 – The Dennison Commercials Four-year-old maiden race (11 runners):
1) Gortmillish, Derek O’Connor (trainer: Colin S McKeever, owner: WW Dennison); 2) Garde Des Champs, JJ Codd (owner and trainer: Denis Paul Murphy); 3) Airtothethrone, B Lawless (owner and trainer: Matthew Flynn O’Connor).
Race 2 – The Albert Bartlett Five-year-old gelding maiden race (9 runners):
1) Brayhill, MJ Sweeney (owner and trainer: Graham McKeever); 2) Vaucelet, B O’Neill (trainer: D M Christie, owner: S J Hegarty); 3) Presenting Jeremy, R James (trainer: Donnchadh Doyle, owner: Monbeg Syndicate).
Race 3 – The Tattersalls Ireland & Maddybenny Cottages Five-year-old mares maiden race (7 runners):
1) Well Briefed, B G Crawford (owner and trainer: SRB Crawford); 2) Oldtown Annie, MJ Sweeney (owner and trainer: John James Gault); 3) Mis Clogher, Derek O’Connor (trainer: Sam Curling, owner: Eamonn J Ryan).
Race 4 – The Millar Family Open race (5 runners):
1) Winged Leader, B O’Neill (trainer: D M Christie, owner: S J Hegarty); 2) Jury Duty, JJ Codd (trainer: Gordon Elliott, owner: Sideway Syndicate); 3) Coastal Tiep, B G Crawford (trainer: SRB Crawford, owner: Jetmac Syndicate).
Race 5 – The Royal Court Hotel winner of 3 (8 runners):
1) Templebredin, P A King (trainer: Sam Curling, owner: Mary Teresa O’Brien); 2) Lough Derg Lyric, B Lawless (trainer: Gerard Lawless, owner: Ballydonagh Syndicate); 3) Handy Headon, B O’Neill (trainer: D M Christie, owner: Ray Nicholas).
Race 6 – The Gormley’s Pharmacy & Jazz Horses Six-year-old gelding maiden race (7 runners):
1) Ask D’ Man, B O’Neill (trainer: D M Christie, owner: S J Hegarty); 2) Outside The Ring, O McGill (trainer: Neil McKnight, owner: Christine McKnight); 3) Loughhill, Derek O’Connor (trainer: Colin S McKeever, owner: WW Dennison).